Saturday, October 9, 2010

4 Days in the Wild


snack break on the road
Where's my gun when I need it?
Max elevation
Mt. Jefferson
Detroit Dam, you can feel the whole thing vibrating
McGuyver Moment- Spoke holding frame together

While my sabbatical was in danger of being lost to house work, I did manage to spend 4 days and 3 nights riding through the High Cascades of Oregon. Here's a few pics. Weather could not have been better, sunny and 70's during the day. Only drama was breaking my frame, which you might think would bring things to a quick end. Frame broke above the derailleur clean through. I had just loaded a gallon of water on top as was trundling along up a hill and all the sudden I had 2 wheels steering!
After a few emergency phone calls thinking I might need to be retrieved from the wilderness, I managed to use an extra spoke I had on hand to help hold the frame together for the last day of riding. So 4 days, 220 miles, 60lbs of bike and gear, something like 7-8k ft of elevation gain. Some aggressive chipmunks chewed through my pannier in a successful quest for Cliff Bars and trail mix. I've welded the break back together, but discovered the bottom bracket is cracked as well, though this is an older break, probably from last season's cross racing. The Vitali is hereby retired from racing and relegated to commuting and Adi portage.

2 comments:

Julia said...

so exciting that you made this happen. were you scared all alone in the dark at night? i'd love to see more wilderness pictures.

Jbucky said...

Sounds like a good ride, I need to do an aventure like this sometime. I'm thinking of riding to SF.